Not a bad week on the anime front that is… Crazy busy IRL Thurs and Friday, so really needed to get this out today. And, since you’re seeing this, I obviously did.
So, without further ado, let’s hit the jump and run ’em down!
The shows that I’m watching are in bold, shows my wife and I are watching together are in bold italics,
strikethrough marks dropped shows and (*) marks shows that are watched but not regularly reviewed.
Akebi’s Sailor Uniform Episode 7
Akebi-chan no Sailor-fuku
After a short streak of mediocre(ish) episodes, Akebi comes roaring back with something a little different… Hebimori is Akebi’s new focus, and agrees to play her guitar for Akebi. Only, unlike the previous characters, Hebimori can’t actually play the guitar. She’s kinda dreamed about it for years, but she’s never actually gone ahead and done it. Thanks to her roomates support and Akebi’s unending wellspring of cheer – she manages to learn a simple tune. And discovers that she actually enjoys the results of the work…
Reminded me a lot of the scene in Sound Euphonium (S1E6) where Hazuki finally gets to sit down and play rather than just practicing. Given that it aired a year before Akebi started serialization, I wonder if there’s a connection between the two.
Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2 Episode 7
Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2
– Floch… has gone off the deep end. And I don’t see that this ends well, as I don’t think Eren ever intends for a dictatorship to be established. Assuming he has an endgame beyond “protecting the people of Paradis”. Quite a few of which have been injured or killed by the Wall Titans… He probably didn’t think through that detail.
– Armin… Titan‘s eternal optimist finally grasps the truth. And promptly melts down. And he puts his finger right on the real problem – even if the world is sterilized… Titans, particularly the Nine, will still exist. He’s probably never heard the saying, but he’s grasped the truth… “Absolute power corrupts absolutely”.
– I thought I heard that there are a million Wall Titans. Assuming the planet they’re on is Earth sized, if they march outward in a circle – they’ll be forty meters apart at the largest diameter. How broad are their shoulders? But either way, certainly big enough to effectively destroy every city, town, and major ecosystem on the planet. Maybe not to kill every human though, it’s conceivable to flee ahead and then slip between. But it won’t be pretty for anyone who survives – even the people of Paradis.
Thoughts on the last two paragraphs: There’s been a lot of electrons spent debating what Titan is an analogy for. But I’ve never seen nuclear weapons and nuclear war put forward in that context – but that’s sure as hell the closest thing I can think of.
– Hange, Hange, Hange… WTF are you thinking, surrendering yourself and Levi to the Cart? The Marleyans have no love for the Scouts. And I doubt the circumstances will improve their mood.
– Gabi… She certainly has changed. But she’s still determined to save Falco. And now there’s two groups out to stop Conny. And he’s not going to care very much.
But I’m not entirely clear on the motivations. Gabi obviously wants Falco not to be eaten… But Armin? Seems to be more about the Jaw Titan. What’s his endgame?
– And finally, Annie. Who is retreating from the battlefield… And it’s not at all clear what her plans are.
Lupin III: Part 6 Episode 19
Definitely a low-key episode, with Lupin & Co. barely making an appearance at all. The major plot was resolved kind of weakly… Most of the focus was on Goro and Ariana, Zenegata’s proteges/assistants. And it turns out Tomoe was also Ariana’s tutor/surrogate parent! Tomoe seems to have gotten around quite a bit, and I don’t think it’s the same as Lupin or Holmes – where the name is an inherited mantle.
And how does Mattea fit into the bigger picture? There was a serious hint of potential violence during her meeting with Ariana…
My Dress-Up Darling Episode 7
Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (C/F/V AP)
After this episode, I’m a lot more confident in the show’d future direction… Inui seems to be more a vehicle for Marin and Gojo’s growth as cosplayer and costume designer/maker than any interfering factor.
And is it just me or was Marin and Gojo’s “home date” just so cute? (Of course, Marin was the only one who realized it was a date. Gojo is a blockhead in that respect.) Love it that Marin isn’t really fighting it or trying to convince herself she’s wrong or whatever. She’s a go-with-the-flow character to start with, but this goes a bit beyond that I think.
It’ll be interesting to see what happens when Gojo finally twigs to what’s going on… He’s not only not the sharpest pencil in that respect, he really doesn’t have any idea of how interpersonal relationships work.
I can’t be the only one who LOLed at this… And also remembered the many times I’ve said the equivalent.
(*) Police in a Pod Episode 7
Hakozume: Koban Joshi no Gyakushuu (F)
Salaryman’s Club Episode 4
Ryman’s Club (C/V)
Tournament episode. Shiratori faces the partner he left behind – and can’t play against him. There’s some big betrayal there, and some baggage we aren’t privy to yet. In the flashback, they were joined at the hip. But… there’s more I think.
Shiratori and Miyazumi ditching the team dinner to go learn more about green onions strikes me as being precisely in Miyazumi’s character. He’s a fun loving guy for sure, and a bit of an oddball… But he takes his work very seriously. And Shiratori is learning to as well.
Slow Loop Episode 7
At first, I was mostly annoyed by Futaba’s arc. By this episode made me feel a lot better as it showed how Hiyori is coming out of her shell, and Koharu is getting a lot more responsible. Of course it goes with saying this is because of how they’re affecting each other.
Putting on the wedding dinner for their parents? *Chef’s Kiss* Just Perfect.
I’ve blown hot and cold on this series, but this really was a good episode.
Came across this on Facebook this week… and it strikes me as oh-so-very-true. Even outstanding series like Euphonium and Yorimoi rely at least a little on anime specific tropes and symbology…
Two doctor’s appointments Thurs and Fri, routine followups & therapy on my back pain, so nothing to worry about. But the physical therapy really wears me out. So, if this is a little more hurried than usual, that’s why. Of course, if I could muster more motivation on Mondays this wouldn’t have been a problem.
After a week or so of balmier temperatures, the thermometer plunged over the weekend… Homemade minestrone with homemade bread was the perfect thing.
But the sun has been setting after 5PM and it’s creeping ever closer to setting after 6PM, so the end of winter is in sight. Don’t want to say more and jinx it because historically we’ve had nasty storms as late as next week.
Anyhow, that’s all for me this week! What are your thoughts this week? Did you eat something especially good? Drop a comment and lets chat about whatever!