Well, once again running behind. Going to have to retitle the blog one of these days… :)
But yeah. not feeling well over the weekend plus a busy pre-holiday schedule has once again left me short on time. So, let’s hit the jump and take a quick look at this week’s comments.
Continue reading “Fall 2017 – Week 7”
Aaand… we reach the middle of the season. Time to reflect on what’s happened so far and look forward to the rest of the season. (And drop a few shows along the way.)
So, without further ado, let’s hit the jump and dive right in.
Continue reading “Fall 2017 – Week 6 / Midseason thoughts”
Well… Not many episode 3 twists/major story beats last week, but a ton of twists and cliffhangers her in week 4.
Let’s hit the break and jump right into it!
Continue reading “Fall 2017 Week 4”
Sorry for being late and a bit rushed, but yesterday was not the best of days. (If you haven’t been following my twitter feed, we had a pet in surgery.) Still, I managed to cover most shows to some degree.
So let’s jump right in and talk about this week’s shows! Be sure and let me know what you think down in the comments!
Continue reading “Fall 2017 Week 3”
Busy, busy week… lots of shows and a new format for my weekly post…
All that after the jump!
Continue reading “Fall 2017 – Week 2”
Man, the hits just keep coming! This season is so full of promise I don’t know where to begin. Of course, it has its share of meh and clunkers too but let’s not dwell on those too much.
Hit the jump and let’s dive into all the yummy goodness!
Continue reading “Fall 2017 – First Impressions Part III (Finale)”
Welcome to this week’s Worth Reading!
Last week I linked to a review of Kiki’s Delivery Service and pondered on why Ghibli movies were so rarely reviewed. Reader Dawnstorm however provided the simplest and most likely explanation – the anime community concentrates mostly on streaming and current season stuff. That being said, reviews of and articles on older stuff aren’t exactly uncommon.
- Truly Trash Media posts a look back at the classic Angel Beats – the second anime they saw. (Though they don’t say when that was.) It’s a fun read, because Angel Beats was also among the early shows I watched. After watching it, I told my wife “there might be something to this anime stuff” and we sat down and watched it together. There’s been few if any other shows that I’ve ever immediately re-watched. To be fair, that may be for the reason Dawnstorm gave – as one season ends, it’s time for another without much of a break.
- Frog-Kun at Fantastic Memes reposted an older column of his comparing the LN and anime versions of INVADERS of the ROKUJYOMA!?. Though mostly forgettable, it was a fun little show. There’s one scene in Ep3, a Crowning Moment of Awesome (Warning: TV Tropes link) for Yurika, that I do re-watch now and again. I just love the look of determination she gets right before her henshin sequence… Wait a moment – I’m a Magical Girl! I’ve got this!
- Frog-kun also authors a piece at Crunchyroll “Hanasaku Iroha” – The Good, The Bad, and the Kawaii. Sakura Quest (whose finale aired today) was marketed as part of a thematic trilogy with 2011’s Hanasaku and 2014’s Shirobako, which makes this article particularly timely. The article is worth reading, and the anime worth watching. In some ways, Hanasaku illustrates what Sakura could have been and fell short of.
Speaking of older anime and adaptations (we were discussing the latter last week)…
- Scott at Mechanical Anime Reviews discusses why he liked the original Kino’s Journey and his concerns over next season’s reboot.
- Last week’s Worth Reading post had an interesting conversation on adaptations down in the comments (scroll down to read them), they’re worth checking out. Feel free to add your thoughts.
Adaptations and their issues just keep coming up. I should probably just create an ‘Adaptation’ tag and be done with it!
Irina at I Drink and Watch Anime posts an interesting piece – Why I keep watching bad anime. C’mon, it’s something we’ve all done – watched a piece of complete trash coughLove&Liescough right through to the end credits. I know I have.
Reasons I’ve kept watching a bad anime: It started good, and I hoped it would return to being good… (Dimension W) It’s wasn’t that bad taken as individual episodes or arcs… (Gangsta) The pieces were there even though they failed to pull it together in the end… (Celestial Method) And of course the infamous “trainwreck you can’t take your eyes off of”… (Big Order)
Yukinocake at ShinYuu posts on Japanese Breakfasts. Very different from what I’m used to eating for certain! (Usually cereal, unless there’s leftover pizza – then pizza.) I keep meaning to talk more about food & cooking here, it’s one of my favorite topics.
As usual, hit the jump to see the ‘below-the-fold’ material. Bonsai, my favorite villians/antagonists, and a dream about ani-blogging!
Continue reading “Worth Reading: Links, news, and views. 9/14-9/20”