Take a week off for the holiday, hit a writer’s block, and all the sudden I have four weeks to catch up on… Which I have finally managed to do more-or-less.
You know the drill, hit the jump and let’s run ’em down!
The shows that I’m watching are in bold, shows my wife and I are watching together are in bold italics,
strikethrough marks dropped shows and (*) marks shows that are watched but not regularly reviewed.
Akiba Maid War
Akiba Maid Sensou
Episodes 7 – 8 Tried, especially at the ball game, to straddle a weird line between Maid Sensou‘s rather direct approach and Nagomi’s newfound devotion to a non violent path. It didn’t really work.
Episode 9 The festival was much more in line with what had been established earlier in the season… Competition and violence and weird devotion to it’s established mythos. And Nagomi not really giving a fig (not even really being aware) about Oinky Doink’s ordained position the world.
Episode 10 Veered off into very strange territory. But to be fair, they established Ranko’s willingness to help someone else get out of the life way back in Episode 4. So I can’t blame her for grabbing at the brass ring.
Haven’t decided how I feel about Okachimachi being a people in a panda suit.
Bocchi the Rock!
Mostly more of the same from Bocchi-chan… Except for this. Bocchi pulling the other girls into sync and forcing them to do their best with the sheer power of her music. Beautiful. And did you notice the shots from her POV? She’s bold enough to initiate that solo – but she’s looking at the floor. Baby steps, baby steps.
Also, Nijika has figured out that Bocchi is guitarhero… But she’s not bothered that Bocchi hid it. She’s happy to have Bocchi, herself.
A fun episode, but what amount to a pure CGDCT episode seems a bit out of place. On the other hand, it shows how the girls aren’t really a friend group yet. They’re just co-workers and bandmates. I hope they don’t go the “we gotta become as one to become a band” route.
And – they brought up the school festival. Yep, final arc – ready, GO!
So they are going to do a school festival concert… Kinda nice how Kita gave her a little nudge. She was apologetic that she did so, but I don’t think she was wrong. More than anything Bocchi needs friends who understand here – and who give her that little nudge.
Do It Yourself!!
Al nicely done… This is one of those shows that’s getting harder to comment about because it’s just so smooth….
– Not all surprised with Serafu’s grades. She’s never been coded as stupid, just absent minded and clumsy. Sadly, some people mistake those for not being bright.
– Nor am I surprised at Purin joining the club, It’s basically been telegraphed since Ep 1. But I am glad it was done so naturally. And she’s so obviously so happy to belong. For undisclosed reasons she’s been lonely and missing Serafu for a very long time.
Encouragement of Climb: Next Summit
Yama no Susume: Next Summit
– Finally Honoka! I have a soft spot for a fellow photographer. This is also why I’ve been complaining about expanding the cast – it’s more about not using the existing cast effectively.
– So that’s where Aoi’s father has been. He doesn’t live at home because of his job. And Hinata’s mother is everything I would have expected had I thought about it. That apple, as Aoi observes, didn’t fall far from the tree.
And this is the 2nd episode in a row with a bit of a Kokona focus. I approve. Also, they’re time skipping like nobody’s business. Handy for the growing “we’re growing up and moving on” background plot, also for getting back to mountain climbing season.
Not enough time left for a Mt Fuji arc (if one is forthcoming), so the only question is: Fifth season when?!?
Some nice, and much needed, growth for Aoi in both halves of the episode. I get it that characters can’t change too much – but if time is going to pass, they can’t stand entirely still either.
So, they are off to Mt Fuji are they? In retrospect, I’m not surprised as it will make a perfect ending for the series. I wish it had gotten another half or full episode though as the experience isn’t going to have time to breathe.
And for the last couple of days the OP has been earworming me… It’s a darn good one. And I love the part from about 00:57 to about 1:08, where the girls are setting off.
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo
Man, so much has happened here and I didn’t keep up with writing. Nor do I even know how to sum up, though I’ll try.
– Minorie seems to be trying to destroy the system from the inside? But I don’t see how. Maybe she’s just trying to show up dear old Dad by beating him at his own game, by being more than just a prize. But… she’s still cleaving to Suletta. All very confusing.
– Poor Earth House, caught up in the middle and being used by Minorine. And not realizing because, I think, “the enemy of my enemy is my ally”.
– Poor Suletta caught up in everyone else’s games. And her poor self image, social awkwardness, and general inexperience aren’t helping.
And last but not least – the Vanadis Incident was twenty years ago. Suletta seems to be in her teens. Things that make you go hmm….
My Hero Academia 6
Boku no Hero Academia 6
Lots of father son / action here… All For One and Shigaraki, Dabi and Endeavor, All Might and Deku. (And only the latter isn’t crazy dysfunctional.)
– All For One embedded himself into Shigaraki, not trusting him, not wanting to be “absent” from his moment of triumph. (And not without cause, Shigaraki has his own agenda.) An interesting comparison with the previous holders of One For All, who seem to be more a team supporting Deku.
– Speaking of Dabi and Endeavor and the huge reveal… MHA is leaning heavily into the question of validity. What makes a hero, a hero? What sin, what activity, what behavior makes them worthy or unworthy of the mantle?
Play It Cool, Guys
Cool Doji Danshi
Now that our entire cast is gathered into the orbit of the cafe… It seems to be settling into a low key workplace/slice of life/comedy. And I am so here for that!
And like many such low key shows, it’s hard to comment about.
SPY x FAMILY: Part II
I have not enjoyed this arc. Nightfall was just annoying and the whole thing just served to further minimize Yor’s role in the family and the show. (Which, I give and grant, is repetitive since they’re one and the same.)
(*) Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! W
Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! W
Demoted to “watched but not commented” because, well, there’s just not going to be much to say each week. It’s simply the nature of the show.
That’s about all I have to say… With th Christmas holiday approaching, may or may not get a post out next week. (Busy, busy.) Plus that’ll let me take a little while longer to write up the final episodes… I think everyone by Gundam Mercury will wrap up this week or next.
So, over to you! Drop a comment and let’s chat!