I know, I know… back in my anniversary/State of the Blog post I said that Worth Reading was temporarily suspended. But the blogging community insists on publishing Really Cool Stuff, and I just can’t resist sharing. So, I’m starting to collect links again but rather than publishing on a fixed schedule (which was a PITA anyhow) I’ll publish whenever I have “enough”. Enough time to edit and write, enough material to make it worth your while to read.
All that being said, let’s take a look at what’s Worth Reading:
- Recently I came across Jakitauji (Yes Kitauji?) by Jakiba, and a pair of interesting entries:
- John Samuel of Pirates of the Burley Griffin took a major vacation trip last year, and visited a number of interesting place… including tank museums. He’s taken his photographs of tanks and produced a series: Meet the Cast: The Tanks of Girls und Panzer. Check them out: Ōarai, St. Gloriana & Saunders, Pravda, and Kuromorimine.
- Stop Calling Everything a Madoka Rip-off! – a strong compare-and-contrast of Madoka Magica and YuYuYu by Zeria of Floating into Bliss. I happen to agree with her, while the two have surface similarities because they’re in the same genre… The similarities end there.
- At littleanimeblog, Dominic posted a fascinating look at drug use in Japanese society and its portrayal in anime: The High Life: drug use in anime.
Living as I do in an area with a large number (and a long history, not all of it happy) of pan-Asian immigrants and first and second generation residents… I take it for granted that Asian ingredients are easily available. Within two miles (give or take) of my apartment there’s five pan-Asian grocers, one of which is a full size grocery store with Asian, Hispanic, and Western (American) departments. (I’m a geek, I actually opened Google Earth, drew a circle, and counted.) There’s easily another half dozen or so in the central and northern portion of the county. (I’m not so familiar with the south end.)
- So I found this account on NPR of how a Toyota factory in Lexington, KY spurred local demand for Japanese grocery products pretty interesting… Especially since the demand isn’t just from immigrants and temporary residents.
Yes, yes, I should be working on today’s post today… But this happened yesterday, and for whatever reason my mind still refuses to focus this morning. So I thought I’d use my morning blogging time somewhat productively and edit and publish this post.
So, it’s official, today’s normally scheduled weekly post will be delayed until tomorrow.
Now off to housework and errands, will get back to writing and editing this afternoon. One of the errands is to the grocery store mentioned above as they carry some better-than-average instant ramen, and we’re getting low. Time to stock up again.
Thanks for reading! Drop a line in the comments and let me know what you think!